Have a pain and injury-free ski season this winter. Start early with these ski conditioning exercises. a selection from our Director Gay Monteith (a ski fanatic herself).
- Stand with feet together and back straight.
- Step one leg forward and bend it so the front leg forms a right angle and the back leg moves towards the floor.
- Hold this position just above the floor or as low as you can manage for a few seconds.
- Repeat 3 sets of 5-10 on each leg with a 30-60 second rest between sets.
Tip: Ensure knees are over toes and breathe throughout the movement.
2. Hamstring bridge on chair
- Lie on your back with your heels on the seat of a chair.
- Lift up your hips/pelvis keeping your knees bent and pulling your heels into the chair.
- Hold this position for 20-30 seconds or until hamstrings fatigue.
- Repeat 3 times with 30 seconds rest between each repetition.
3. Wall squat with a twist
- Stand with your feet apart and back flat against the wall.
- Slide down into a squat position at right angles or above.
- Keep knees over toes.
- Hold a medicine ball or weight with both hands and move it side to side across the front of your body.
- Always keep your back against the wall.
- Continue for as long as you can and repeat 3 times, with a 30 second rest in between.
Know your limits - know your pain
ALWAYS warm up before excercising. A 5-10 minute walk can prevent a lot of injuries.
DO NOT go back to your normal level of activity until enough recovery has been achieved or you risk re-injury.
KEEP IT COMFORTABLE never perform any excercise or stretch into acute pain. If you experience persistent discomfort, see a physiotherapist.